Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Back to hometown Segamat (14-16 Apr)

In case you are not aware, I am a Malaysian, born in a town called Segamat, in Johor, West Malaysia. Segamat is about 2 hours drive from Johor Bahru.

Segamat is a place known for durians. But alas, I don't like to eat durians. When I tell people where I came from, they all felt it was a pity I don't like durians especially since the famous bulk came from where I was born! Well, perhaps I've had too much of it when I was younger.. ;(

My trip to Segamat was exactly a week after my holiday in KK. When I told D.Eng I was going to Malaysia again, he asked, "Again? Did you leave something behind in the mountains??" As you can see, D.Eng is quite a crap person, hence, his crappy reply. Haha!! But it was quite funny!!

Ok, the reason behind the trip back to Segamat was to attend my cousin's wedding.

Typically, the weddings in Malaysia are different from that of Singapore. Weddings in Malaysia are usually held in restaurants or even school halls (if you have that many no. of tables). Wherever it will be held, either there will be karaoke which allow guests to sing, or the hosts will engage performers to entertain the guests. So, it can get rather noisy!! But, well, seems like many people enjoy it!

There are a lot of good food in Segamat, or at least food that my siblings and I die-die also must eat whenever we go back;
1. Bak kut teh
*Slurp, Yum Yum* Fantastic to me! We can even bring our own can of button mushrooms and dough sticks!

2. Kolo Mee
Malaysia version of Wanton Noodles, the sauce is so very different from what we have here in Singapore! Somehow, it tasted great!

3. Roti Canai
Aka Roti Prata in Singapore. Crispy! Cheap somemore!!

4. Nanyang Toast & Kopi
Best I've ever had! If you think Singapore's Ya Kun or Kiliney is good, wait till you try this! Hahah!! Well, this is subjective lah.. Anyway interested to start a Nanyang outlet in Singapore? Hahah!!

5. Nasi Lemak (with pork)
Ok, this definitely is not cooked by muslims ;) Set by the roadside, the stall is owned by a Chinese couple (with assistance from their daughters). Fragrant lemak rice with stir-fried pork in dark sauce! They have very good hor fun too!

2 comments:

Belinda + Zee said...

Bring me to JB for a makan spree when i go back mid of the year k! And i haven't get to meet ah-di's and ah-bee's baby too!

tiramisho said...

Hmm... I'm NOT going to bring you to JB makan spree.. cos I prefer to bring you to KL during its mid year mega sale (16Jun-2Sep07) haha! Your brother & Joanne are also interested. Well, Joanne is definitely very interested in shopping! You and Jason come along lah..!! Other than shopping spree, I promise fabulicious food too!!

As for Ziyi, yes, you are welcome to visit the little naughty cutie but booking in advance required cos she may be in Segamat ;p